Current Stock Main Menu

Hoogstraat, Bruges

Watercolour street scene looking down Hoogstraat in the city of Bruges with a view of the bell tower of the Wool Merchants Hall. By English artist E.M.Marshall, circa 1860.
Stock No. 6291W

Emily Mary Marshall

Born in 1841, the daughter of the Reverend John William Henry Marshall, rector of Ovingdean Parish, Suffolk, and alumnus of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, Emily Marshall was as well travelled and accomplished as were most ladies from the middle classes in the 1800s. More so, as with other members of her family, most notably her nephew, John William Henry Marshall-West and his brother Algernon Edward West, she was a gifted artist, painting prolifically in watercolour, scenes that reflected her European travels in Italy, France, Belgium and Holland as well as scenes from her own English surrounding countryside.

She had an eye for detail, painting everything from architecture to boats with an unerring accuracy and her work competently fluctuated in style from artistic, highly detailed and atmospheric simplicity to moody complexity in her portrayal of skies and seascapes. She captured people going about their everyday work and street scenes incorporating significant or ancient buildings and monuments with considerable ease. She also effortlessly reproduced the essence and period of each place and scene and displayed her extreme competence with the use of perspective.

The watercolours in our collection have been preserved from the effect of light and are subsequently probably as strong as when created by the artist, bold and unfaded. Each painting has been mounted and framed.

One of the principal sights of Bruges is the Market Square that is dominated by the Belfort, a Mediaeval belfry tower built between 1482 and 1486 and stands 83 metres high and has 366 steps. The building’s origins go right back to 1240 when it formerly housed a treasury and the city’s municipal archives. It was also used as an observation tower for spotting fires and other danger and the bells in the tower each had a distinctive sound and function, be it to impart danger, important announcements or time. The carillon now rings every 15 minutes.

Price: £345.00




100%
Works of Art - Drawings & Watercolours

Hoogstraat, Bruges

Watercolour street scene looking down Hoogstraat in the city of Bruges with a view of the bell tower of the Wool Merchants Hall. By English artist E.M.Marshall, circa 1860.
Stock No. 6291W

Emily Mary Marshall

Born in 1841, the daughter of the Reverend John William Henry Marshall, rector of Ovingdean Parish, Suffolk, and alumnus of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, Emily Marshall was as well travelled and accomplished as were most ladies from the middle classes in the 1800s. More so, as with other members of her family, most notably her nephew, John William Henry Marshall-West and his brother Algernon Edward West, she was a gifted artist, painting prolifically in watercolour, scenes that reflected her European travels in Italy, France, Belgium and Holland as well as scenes from her own English surrounding countryside.

She had an eye for detail, painting everything from architecture to boats with an unerring accuracy and her work competently fluctuated in style from artistic, highly detailed and atmospheric simplicity to moody complexity in her portrayal of skies and seascapes. She captured people going about their everyday work and street scenes incorporating significant or ancient buildings and monuments with considerable ease. She also effortlessly reproduced the essence and period of each place and scene and displayed her extreme competence with the use of perspective.

The watercolours in our collection have been preserved from the effect of light and are subsequently probably as strong as when created by the artist, bold and unfaded. Each painting has been mounted and framed.

One of the principal sights of Bruges is the Market Square that is dominated by the Belfort, a Mediaeval belfry tower built between 1482 and 1486 and stands 83 metres high and has 366 steps. The building’s origins go right back to 1240 when it formerly housed a treasury and the city’s municipal archives. It was also used as an observation tower for spotting fires and other danger and the bells in the tower each had a distinctive sound and function, be it to impart danger, important announcements or time. The carillon now rings every 15 minutes.

Price: £345.00

Make An Enquiry Print Page Send To A Friend Terms & Conditions Mailing List

To join our mailing list submit your details below
Your name
Your email