Church Street . Stow on the Wold . Gloucestershire GL54 1BB Tel: +44 (0)1451 830370
Dealers in Fine Antique Furniture and Furnishings for Town & Country Houses
A selection of items from our fine collection of silver...



















All that glitters...
For several thousand years, silver has been considered second only to gold as a precious metal and has been used throughout that time for ornamentation, high quality utensils, trade and many forms of currency. Nowadays, the surviving items that have been treasured by so many, not only give us an invaluable, historical insight into society of their day, but provide us with wonderful items of immense and timeless beauty. All that glitters is most definitely not all gold!


Princess of Zanzibar and Oman - Sayyida Salme (1844-1924) shortly before her marriage to the German businessman Heinricke Reute in1862. Note that she is wearing similar anklets.
Late 19th/early 20th century silver 'Zanzibar' Bracelet Heavy silver Omani anklet with profuse chasing and repoussé decoration to all exterior surfaces, raised bands and beading to shoulders and with decorated heavy silver pin to secure the two hinged sections. With Indian, Gujarat, decorative influences, these Omani anklets were worn by women as ornamental jewellery at their weddings or on ceremonial occasions. Many Omani migrated to Zanzibar on the east coast of Africa during the 18th and 19th centuries, especially during the rule of the Sultan of Oman, thus the description. Zanzibar, circa 1870- 1920.
Stock No. 9792

Georgian Silver Pipe
The pipe with five telescopic sections with milled and screwed junctions. The hallmark includes the head of George and the year letter C for 1826. The maker's mark: J.C. for James Collins and the anchor for Birmingham. Extends to 16" (40cm)
English, circa 1826
Stock No. 9624
Silver Salver
Shaped, circular tray top with moulded Chippendale style rim. Stands upon three cast scrolled reeded acanthus feet. Birmingham hallmark N for the year 1937. Maker's mark WA for William Adams Ltd.. English
Diameter 12" (30.5cm)

Stock No. 9789

Georgian Silver Brandy Warmer
The domed and reeded lid with turned ivory and silver knob. The silver pan of low waisted bombe form with baluster turned pear wood side carrying handle. The tripod stand has reeded legs that terminate with paw feet and accommodates the spirit lamp.The lid, pan, stand and spirit burner are each hallmarked and are engraved with the crest of a lion sejant erect.London hallmark for 1803. Maker's mark JE for John Emes, possibly part of the oldest manufacturing silversmiths in the world having started in 1680 by Antony Nelme and extant today as a subsidiary of Padgett and Braham Ltd.
English, 1803
Stock No. 9790

Cast Oval Silver Tea Caddy by R. & S. Garrard
The whole of bright cut diamond pattern decoration with swags, within each a flowerhead, probably of a tea plant. The inset lid with very finely crafted concealed hinge has a cast handle in the form a tea flower and leaves. The interior base shows traces of the original tea box foil lining. The top and base borders are banded with cast beading and to the front a diamond escutcheon engraved with a wolf's head. Makers mark: RG with a crown above for Robert Garrard. London hallmark, Gothic (N) for 1868. Base marked R&S Garrard Panton St. London.
Stock No. 9649

Silver Snuff Box
Rectangular in form with rounded ends, the lid engraved with rococo foliate decoration, which is repeated to the sides and base. Finely inset full- length hinge and closely fitting lid. The central cartouche engraved with the initials A.F. The inside of the lid engraved 'Presented by the family of the late Henry Fyfe to Arch'd M. Fyfe 16th March 1857'. Silver hallmark, makers initials N.M. for Nathanial Mills and the year letter 1845. Height 0.5" (1.25cm) Width 1.25" (3cm) Depth 3.25" (8.5cm)
Stock No. 9580
Baggott Church Street Limited 01451 830370 www.baggottantiques.com

Unsubscribe from this newsletter