Early Georgian knife box, the demi-lune ebonised faux sharkskin case with hinged lid, and brass ring handle, opens to a fitted red velvet interior. To the front a gilt brass lock and to the sides a pair of brass bale carrying handles.
Probably English, but could be French, circa 1710 - 1730
Handwritten labels the base of the box reads:
“This knife box for silver handled knives belonged to the Archer family of Wood Bevington, whose sale was in 1790, since that date for more than a hundred years it remained there, in that ancient house.”