Copper grain bin of circular drum form with flared rolled rim, the tightly fitting lid engraved with a coronet and the letter ‘L’. The crest of the 5th Earl Lonsdale of Lowther Castle, Westmoreland, Cumbria. This piece formerly part of the batterie de cuisine. English circa 1840-1880.
The fondness of yellow for his many cars and footmen's livery inspired the 5th Earl's nickname 'The Yellow Earl'. Sadly, his free-spending largely wrecked the estate, and his heir, his brother Lancelot, the 6th Earl was forced to auction off the contents of Lowther Castle in a series of sales in the Spring and Summer of 1947. This proved to be the largest English country house sale of the 20th century.
Stock No. 2484