19th century continental antique white porcelain bonbon dish. A shallow rectangular basket form with scrolled gilt rococo border and twisted, flower decorated handle. The base with transfer print depicting the Fitzwilliam Museum Founders’ Building which opened to the public in 1848. The dish was probably made to commemorate this event.
Considered by many to be the finest small museum in the world, the Fitzwilliam Museum owes its foundation to Richard, V11 Viscount Fitzwilliam of Merrion who, in 1816, bequeathed to the University of Cambridge his works of art and library, together with funds to house them, to further ‘the Increase of Learning and other great Objects of that Noble Foundation”.
Unmarked but possibly continental, circa 1848
Please fill in the information below