Late Regency rosewood pole screen. The adjustable needlework banner with the arms and shield of St. John's College, Oxford. The rosewood pole screen with gilt brass mounts, the baluster ring turned and acanthus carved
column to tripod base with cabriole C-scroll legs.
English, circa 1825-1835
St. John's College, Oxford coat of arms. Gules, an annuletin chief or on a canton ermine a lion rampant sable a bordure of the fourth charged with eight estoiles of the second. Founded in 1555 as a men's college by Sir Thomas White, a wealthy London merchant tailor, who intended the college to provide a source of educated Roman Catholic clerics to support the Counter Revolution under Queen Mary.
Sir Thomas took over the premises of the Cistercian monks of St.. Bernard's College, founded in 1437, outside the medieval city walls to the north.