Sterling silver Art Nouveau box Attributed to Kate Harris,rectangular, with domed lid and applied quadripartite decoration in the Celtic style and an applied natural opal central cabochon to the lid. Opens to a void, gilt interior. London hallmark for 1902 and makers’ mark for William Hutton and Sons of Sheffield and London.
Kate Harris was a staff designer at the firm’s London workshops and assistant to Mr Blackman, one of the company’s directors. A small London workshop had been opened in 1896 for the production of Art Nouveau silver, Hutton’s being a major supplier to Liberty & Co. ‘The Studio’ magazine described Kate’s work as gracefully conceived and executed. She exhibited a design winning cup and cover at the 1900 Paris Exhibition.
England, circa 1902
Please fill in the information below