PHONE: 01451 830370 or 01451 831106
    
Vintage armorial oak shield for Harrow School

Vintage armorial oak shield for Harrow School

Code: 1922

Dimensions:

H: 8" (20.3 cm)W: 6.5" (16.5 cm)

£295.00

Vintage armorial oak shield, hand painted and gilded coat of arms for  Harrow School, founded in 1572 under a Royal Charter granted by Queen Elizabeth 1.
The arms: Azure, a lion rampant, in dexter chief two arrows in saltire, points downward, tied in the centre with a bow and enfiled with a wreath of laurel, all argent.Motto: Donorum Dei dispensatio fidelis; & Stet fortuna domus.
The arms were officially granted on October 3, 1929 to ‘The Keepers and Governors of the possessions, revenues and goods of the Free Grammar School of John Lyon within the Town of Harrow on the Hill in the County of Middlesex’.
Shield by A.W.Crisp & Co., Heraldic Artists, 16 King’s Parade, Cambridge
English, circa 1900
Height 8” (20cm) Width 6.5” (16.5cm)
 

NB. This a correction to our previous attribution as being the arms of Emmanual College, Cambridge.