Georgian mahogany cased hydrometer bulbs, also known as philosophical bubbles or gravity beads. The circular turned mahogany box with domed lid opens to a velvet-lined interior with nine numbered glass beads (originally 12). They were used for testing the proof of spirit. The inside of the lid has a paper label and the name of TELFER & AFLECK, Instrument Makers, Glasgow and lists the spirits and their corresponding numbers. They were invented by Alexander Wilson of Glasgow in the 1750s.
Scottish, circa 1800.