The hull is marked showing the sections of plate. The steel screwed steamer ship was built on the Clyde in 1934 by the Ailsa Shipping Company Ltd., Troon by yard No. 419.
Now mounted on a display board.
Board Height 11.75” (30cm) Width 49.5” (126cm)
Bristol Sand & Gravel ordered a new ship from Ailsa Shipbuilders which was launched in 1934 thus replacing the Holman Sutcliffe which had been scrapped two years before. The new ship was the 505gt steam driven Dunkerton, which reportedly went on to make more money for Bristol Sand & Gravel than any of their other dredgers. She last sailed from Bristol Sand & Gravel’s Redcliffe wharf on 3rd February 1966 to Newport, where she was broken up. The Dunkerton was designed to take coal to the Channel Islands and return with a cargo of sand in her two cargo holds. In 1958 she underwent major refurbishment including the fitting of radar and the construction of an enclosed wheelhouse. This last being a reminder that most, if not all, of the early aggregate dredgers had their conning and dredging positions open to the elements. One of her uses was to take 12 day-tripping passengers for a day out from Cumberland Basin, perhaps the only aggregate dredger to be used as a passenger ship.