Baggott Church Street Ltd
Tel: 01451 830370 or 01451 831106
Web site: https://www.baggottantiques.com/
Rare & antiquarian books: Griffith’s ‘History of Cheltenham’ Griffith’s New Historical Description of Cheltenham and its Vicinity. Dedicated to the most excellent Kings Majesty. Embellished with nearly 100 highly finished engravings from drawings by the first masters; Maps of the Town and County from the latest surveys and a plan of Pittville. Cheltenham, printed by S.Y.Griffith, Chronicle Office, Pitville Street. Published by Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown & Green, London and sold by all booksellers, 1826. New tan leather spine with four flattened raised bands and title in scarlet with gilt script. Both papered boards with decorated border and royal crest to centre, surrounded by the title ‘History of Cheltenham’. Very good+ condition with tight and strong spine, mildly rubbed board covers front and back and slightly scuffed lower board corners. Uncut pages with mild discolouration to edges and mild foxing to illustrative plates, but no losses. A handsome, clean and tight copy.
Ex Libris plate ‘USUI CURAEQUE E. I. A. PHILLIPS COMMISSIS. Jes: COLL CANTAB Schol. Regal Sherborn KELLY COLL: Tavistock. Fortiter Occupa Portum’. Original name plates for: Jno Morrice and L E Morrice. Appendix containing Acts of Parliament entitled ‘An act for better paving, lighting, cleansing, watching and improving the town of Cheltenham; and for regulating the police thereof; and for removing and preventing nuisances and annoyances therein’. Included in appendices are measurements of the town of Cheltenham, along with other fascinating details of daily life, schools, postal services, itineraries etc. Three unlisted plates within appendix of Williams’s Library, The Literary Saloon and Duffield and Weller’s etc. There is also a section at the back of the book containing 24 plates of high quality advertisements. Map of Cheltenham included, dated 1825. All engravings present and with their tissue protector.
Library plate for the Rev. Egbert Ivor Allen Phillips (1870 - 1956), alumnus of Jesus College, Cantab, Assistant Master at Sherborne School (1901 - 1907) and Headmaster of Kelly College, Tavistock, Devon (1907 - 1911).